Security Specialist is a catchall description for a wide variety of entry to intermediate-level IT security jobs.
In the majority of cases, will be responsible for designing, testing, implementing and monitoring security measures for your company’s systems.
As part of job, a specialist may be required to:
- Analyze and establish security requirements for your systems/networks
- Defend systems against unauthorized access, modification and/or destruction
- Configure and support security tools such as firewalls, anti-virus software, patch management systems, etc.
- Define access privileges, control structures and resources
- Perform vulnerability testing, risk analyses and security assessments
- Identify abnormalities and report violations
- Oversee and monitor routine security administration
- Develop and update business continuity and disaster recovery protocols
- Train fellow employees in security awareness, protocols and procedures
- Design and conduct security audits to ensure operational security
- Respond immediately to security incidents and provide post-incident analysis
- Research and recommend security upgrades
- Provide technical advice to colleagues