A Chief Information Security Officer is the general of an IT security department.
In this management position, CISO select, oversee and provide leadership for any initiatives that concern the overall security of the organization. At big companies, CISO may even find itself consulting with the law enforcement and government on corporate security matters.
Expect a job with a certain amount of power and creative freedom. As the head of IT security, you could be required to:
- Appoint and guide a team of IT security experts
- Create a strategic plan for the deployment of information security technologies and program enhancements
- Supervise development of corporate security policies, standards and procedures and ensure compliance
- Integrate IT systems development with security policies and information protection strategies
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to establish an IT security risk management program
- Audit existing systems and provide comprehensive risk assessments
- Anticipate new security threats and stay-up-to-date with evolving infrastructures
- Monitor security vulnerabilities, threats and events in network and host systems
- Develop strategies to handle security incidents and coordinate investigative activities
- Act as a focal point for IT security investigations and direct a full investigation with recommended courses of action
- Prioritize and allocate security resources correctly and efficiently
- Prepare financial forecasts for security operations and proper maintenance cover for security assets
- Provide leadership, training opportunities and guidance to personnel
- Work with senior management to ensure IT security protection policies are being implemented, reviewed, maintained and governed effectively
- Spearhead education programs focused on user awareness and security compliance
In addition to these efforts, CISO may be involved in a large variety of non-technical managerial tasks and reporting on security to the CIO or the CEO.
The highest position in IT security have similar job titles like:
- Chief Security Officer (CSO)
- Information Security Officer (ISO)
- Global Head of Information Security